UFB Phase One 75% complete

In BICSI Bytes by info@bicsi.com.au

According to New Zealand’s Communications Minister, Simon Bridges, more than three-quarters of the build for phase one of the Ultra-Fast Broadband (UFB) program is complete.

“This milestone means that more than 1,132,000 households and businesses now have access to fibre. At 4% ahead of schedule, the build is now complete in 22 cities and towns across New Zealand,” Bridges said. “Combined with the Rural Broadband Initiative, the UFB program is one of the biggest infrastructure projects ever undertaken in New Zealand so it’s great to see the rollout progressing so well.

“We’re fast-moving towards our goal of 85% of New Zealanders having access to fibre by the end of 2024, and for vastly improved broadband to be available in New Zealand’s rural communities.”

“The Government’s investment in world leading communications infrastructure is driving access to better, faster internet for New Zealanders, as evidenced by Akamai’s latest State of the Internet Report, which shows that in Q1 2017, New Zealand’s average broadband speed increased to 14.7 Mbps – a significant leap of 40% in the last year.

“It also found that mobile broadband users in New Zealand enjoy average speeds of around 13 Mbps. This means we’re tied for third fastest in the Asia Pacific region, and puts New Zealand alongside other global connectivity leaders such as Japan and South Korea.”

The Government’s target for connectivity is that by 2025, 99% of New Zealanders will be able to access peak download speeds of 50 Mbps or better, and the remaining 1% able to access at least 10 Mbps.